Applications for the Semester 2, 2022 intake into the Student Managed Fund will close on Tuesday 3 May, 2022 (Week 9 of Semester 1).
The Student Managed Fund (SMF) is a 12 unit (one year duration) offering available at the undergraduate (FINM3009 + FINM3010) and postgraduate (FINM6009 + FINM6010) levels. Students in this course are responsible for the management of a fund comprising over $0.7 million, under the guidance of course convenors. This amount reflects donations made to the University, with the intent that the funds be managed by students, and be used to support the philanthropic activities within CBE. The course therefore provides a unique opportunity for deep activity based learning. The primary task of students is to make investment recommendations to be reviewed and endorsed by an Investment Committee that includes top industry practitioners from around Australia and ANU staff. Students are also responsible for the day-to-day functions typical of a managed fund.
Entry to the course is competitive, with only a small number of places available. Students must be able to enrol in the fund for two consecutive semesters, and apply to be part of the fund via a written application followed by an interview with the Convenors. There are four sub-teams within the fund, each with differing pre-requisites. The teams are as follows:
- Active Australian Equities team (pre-requisite: FINM2003 or FINM7008; pre- or co-requisite* FINM3005 or FINM7044): undertakes research and makes investment proposals regarding Australian shares
- Asset Allocation team (pre-requisite: FINM2003 or FINM7008; pre- or co-requisite FINM3008 or FINM8016): undertakes research and makes investment proposals regarding the Fund’s broad asset mix, which are implemented using ETFs
- Relationship team (pre-requisite: FINM1001 or FINM7006): manages the communication of SMF activities to external parties, including via reports, social media platforms and fostering engagement especially with other ANU students and staff
- Risk and Compliance team (pre-requisite: FINM2003 or FINM7008): roles include portfolio analysis and reporting (including performance evaluation), risk management and compliance monitoring
* Please note that Applications to join particular teams on the basis of co-requisites will generally only be successful if the selection committee is convinced that the student has the required prior training or skill levels, perhaps because of prior experience.
For more information on the eligibility criteria, pre-requisites and admission process, please see the Student Managed Fund Admission Procedure (link below). The deadline for written applications is 5pm on Tuesday 3 May, 2022.
Note: As detailed in the link above, students are asked to submit an investment recommendation as part of their application. This provides applicants an opportunity to showcase their potential to research and communicate a recommended course of action in an investing context. Guidelines are left deliberately broad. For example, the recommendation could be stock specific, related to asset allocation or for a particular asset class, and does not have to be specifically targeted towards the Student Managed Fund. If granted an interview, students will be asked questions regarding the recommendation. The team(s) a student is applying for in conjunction with the Finance courses they have competed will be taken into consideration. For example, a student applying for the Relationship Team who has only undertaken Foundations of Finance will not be expected to show the same level of complexity and understanding as a student applying for the Asset Allocation and/or Active Australian Equities teams who has completed Corporate Valuation and Portfolio Construction.
For further information about the Student Managed Fund, please see the links below:
- SMF website: https://www.rsfas.anu.edu.au/rsfas-education/student-managed-fund/
- SMF Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/smfANU/
- SMF LinkedIn: https://au.linkedin.com/company/anu-smf
- Undergraduate course page: http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/course/FINM3009
- Postgraduate course page: http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/course/FINM6009
Questions about the SMF or the applications process?
Please join us at the following zoom events:
ANU Student Managed Fund – Ask Me Anything Information Session
Saturday 26th March, 11am–12pm (AEST) | Online
Are you interested in an investment or fund management? Undergraduate and postgraduate students from the ANU Student Managed Fund manage over $0.7 million under the guidance of two Convenors, and are more than willing to share their experiences and learnings. Come to our information session event to find out!
ANU Student Managed Fund – Application Workshop
Saturday 9 April, 11am–12pm (AEST) | Online
Choosing the appropriate team and writing an investment recommendation may feel daunting. Learn from the perspectives of current SMF members in our applications workshop held during the mid-semester break. We will walk you through the application process and give tips and tricks on your investment pitch.